Stop SOPA/PIPA

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Weekend in review/Yay Daniel Radcliffe (July 16-17, 2011)




Last weekend, I somehow managed to run out of things I was particularly interested in seeing in New York. (I'm waiting to see The Book of Mormon, Anything Goes, Follies, and Master Class with a friend in August.) So, I decided to just take a leap and see a few Broadway shows that other people have been praising (either on Theater Talk or with Tony nominations).

I got cheap tickets through Audience Rewards points to Born Yesterday and How to Succeed in Business without Even Trying and a cheap(ish) nosebleed seat for The Motherf**cker with the Hat. I wasn't terribly excited about any of them, but I allowed for the possibility that I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Born Yesterday closed early, so I replaced it with Classic Stage Company's Unnatural Acts, an off-Broadway play (with a bit of singing and some choreographed movement) about Harvard's Secret Court of 1920, which aimed to clear out homosexual activity from campus. And I added a late-night performance of Silence! The Musical at Theatre 80. Yes, a musical parody of the Silence of the Lambs movie.

I'll post separate reviews later, but here's a preview: I enjoyed Acts but hated Hat. I mean HATED. Perhaps that's partly why I enjoyed the awesomely low-brow Silence! so much--almost anything would have been enjoyable in comparison to Hat. And How to Succeed was very charming, with Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette really, really, really giving it their all. Neither is particularly a natural for musical theater--especially in a show that's so dance heavy--but those guys WORK. The audience absolutely loved everything they did. I mean EVERYTHING they did. But I get it: I adore Dan Rad, too. (I haven't managed to see very last ever Harry Potter movie yet, but I think seeing him on stage is a fine substitute for now.)

Yes, "Dan Rad" is a sickeningly twee nickname, but I have adopted it anyway because he is actually quite rad. In addition to being quite serious about acting, he's well spoken--and outspoken. He's using his power for good by speaking freely and often in favor of equal rights, admitting to his decision to give up alcohol in an effort to help others who might be in the same situation, and lending continued support to The Trevor Project, which helps people (especially LGBTQ teens) who are considering suicide. Really, how can you help but love the guy?

The Trevor Project's suicide-prevention hotline number is 866-488-7386. Please share it with anyone who might need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment